Why is it so hard for a business to be successful without the help of SEO marketing companies? The answer to this question involves an explanation of why a business cannot be successful without the help of search engines. Let’s let the facts speak for themselves:
- Over 90% of purchases are researched online before any money passes hands.
- When a consumer goes on to the interwebs to research a potential purchase, 92% of the time they start with a search engine rather than going directly to the website of a company that provides the product they are looking for.
- In the results that Google (or Bing or Yahoo or so on…) produces, 70% of the time, the consumer will automatically block out everything labeled “paid advertisement.”
- The website that gets the most action is the first organic link that Google recommends. One in every three online searchers will follow this link.
- The second link gets 18% of the market; each following link is less likely to get any attention. If your website lands on the second page of search results, there’s a 91% chance it will never see the light of day.
- The bottom line is: If you want your business to have any chance of success, you want to be on the good side of the search engine algorithm that ranks websites.
How does a website improve its search engine ranking?
Now say hello to my little friend: Search engine optimization (SEO for short). SEO marketing companies base their entire existence on figuring out exactly what makes the Google algorithm crank, and tailoring their clients’ web presence to perfectly align with it. Some tactics SEO companies employ to boost their clients’ web search rankings include:
- Link Building
When several other websites have links to your website, Google scratches its head and thinks, “There must be something worth looking at over here!” This — along with other factors we’ll mention — results in your website landing on the first page of search results.
CAUTION: In the early days of search engine optimization strategies, SEO marketing companies could get away with fooling Google by setting up an independent page with hundreds of links to your page to boost your ranking. This is not the case any more. Now, if Google finds the SEO practices you are using to be underhanded, your ranking is actually bumped lower. This could even result in your page being removed from Google’s index altogether. In other words, link building is a very effective SEO strategy, but must be carried out ethically.
- Content is King.
Regularly adding new, interesting content to your website is a great way to remind Google that your website is a happening place. This isn’t an extremely complicated theory. Think about it: when your website has a blog, there are several thousand words that could trigger keywords in your potential client’s search query.
Beyond that, Google pays attention to the “bounce rate” while ranking websites. Basically, if your visitors come to your page and immediately leave without clicking any links, it tells Google your page is boring and shouldn’t be recommended. When you add content that your visitors engage with, it improves your bounce rate and boosts your ranking. If you feel overwhelmed at the idea of becoming a blogger, don’t despair, this is a service that many SEO marketing companies provide inexpensively.
- Social media marketing
While social media marketing is its own beast that boosts your business in very important ways, it also plays an integral part in search engine optimization. When you are active on the social media machine and have a lot of followers who comment on, retweet and share the content you post, it tells Google that your house is where the party is. Not to mention, — if you refer back to our first point — any links that point to your website shared on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter are also boosting your ranking score through link building.
Search engine optimization is a science that goes all the way down the the coding of your website. While you’d have to become an SEO specialist to understand all of the factors that impact search engine rankings, these three strategies could make a huge difference for your website.